Dwayne Johnson offered its support for the SAG-AFTRA strike with a massive donation to union members who are currently unemployed.
The action star, 51, has contributed a seven-figure sum to the SAG-AFTRA Foundation’s relief fund, which can provide grants of up to $1,500 per member. In other cases where a union member is at serious risk, a lifetime member can receive up to $6,000 in emergency assistance.
The exact amount of Johnson’s donation is confidential, but the president of the SAG-AFTRA Foundation Courtney B. Vance said Johnson’s team reached out after the foundation sent a letter to the union’s highest paid members outlining the financial problems other members will face during the strike.
“It was a love fest,” said Vance, 63, Variety on Monday, July 24, recalling his phone call with Johnson about the donation. “It’s like, ‘Dude, you’re moving forward in a way that lets others know the dire need of this.’ It’s him saying, ‘At a time like this, I’m here and I’m not going anywhere, no matter what you need me to do.’ And that sends a big message to other people to do the same thing.”
The executive director of the foundation, Cyd Wilson, told the paper that Johnson’s donation is the “largest single donation” the organization has ever received from one person at one time. (The SAG-AFTRA Foundation is a not-for-profit organization affiliated with SAG-AFTRA but independent of the union.)
“And what’s amazing is that this check is going to help thousands of actors keep food on the table, keep their kids safe and keep their cars running,” said Wilson. Variety. “And it is not lost on me that [Dwayne’s] very humble about it, but it’s a way for us to start.
The Screen Actors Guild – American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) has been on strike since July 14 due to an ongoing dispute with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP). The union’s decision to strike comes two months after the Writers Guild of America also went on strike over issues including streaming content waste and the use of artificial intelligence in screenplays.
“This is a very seminal hour for us. I went in thinking we could avoid a strike. The gravity of this movement did not go unnoticed”, President of SAG-AFTRA Fran Drescher said at a press conference on July 13. “It is a very serious thing that affects thousands – if not millions – of people across this country and around the world. Not just members of this union, but people who work in other industries who serve people who work in this industry. … We had no choice. We are the victims here. We are being victimized by a very greedy entity.”
The simultaneous strike marks the first time that the actors’ and writers’ unions have struck together since 1960. During that strike, former US President Ronald Reagan was the chairman of the SAG.
Tons of celebrities showed their support for both strikes, picketing outside studios in New York City and Los Angeles. Other stars, meanwhile, have been revealing the small amounts they earn in streaming waste.
Earlier this month, mandy moore explained that waste could sustain actors between projects, but that is no longer the case.
“We are in incredibly fortunate positions as active actors on shows that have had tremendous success in one way or another… The Hollywood Reporter on July 18, adding that he received “very small checks, like 81 cents” for streaming waste to These are U.S.
Moore, 39, played matriarch Rebecca Pearson on the NBC family drama, which ran from 2016 to 2022. She further addressed the residual issue in an Instagram post after picketing outside Disney earlier this month.
“Ours is a fickle industry and in my more than 20 years as an artist, my career has had its ups and downs,” Moore wrote. “I had very lean years when I couldn’t get a job and these are precisely the times when, in the past, actors could rely on the residue of their previous work to help them survive. The world and business have changed and I hope we can find a meaningful solution in the future.”